Agree with Government or Not, You Must File Your Tax Return

Posted on November 04, 2014

In a recent Tax Court case, a married Michigan man decided not to file a tax return because he disagreed with certain government policies.

During the year in issue, the taxpayer was married and had the choice to elect to file his tax return using either the filing status of Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. Because the taxpayer failed to timely file a return, the IRS prepared a Substitute for Return on his behalf using the filing status of Married Filing Separately.

Because Married Filing Separately has the highest tax rate, additional taxes were due as a result. The taxpayer took the position that if he had filed a Married Filing Joint return with his wife, he would have been entitled to a refund. The Tax Court held that his position was irrelevant because he did not file a tax return at all and that not filing a tax return because of his political views is not enough to excuse him from the liability that he now owes.

Do you have unfiled tax returns or unpaid liability due to the IRS? Call us, we can help.

« Return To Blog
Chicago Area Tax Attorneys

Speak With A Tax Attorney


Chicago Tax Attorneys

314 North York Road
Elmhurst, IL 60126
Proud Member of the
American Society of Tax Problem Solvers

© 2023 Patrick T. Sheehan & Associates, Attorneys at Law, P.C. - Privacy Policy - Terms and Conditions
Serving the Chicago Area - Disclaimer