Tax Refund Seized for Child Support

Posted on June 17, 2014

Have you had your refund seized to pay your spouse’s past-due child support obligation?

Well, you may be able to get a portion of that refund paid to you.

The typical refund statute of limitation is three years from the date the tax return was filed.  However, in certain circumstances, the IRS applies a six year statute of limitation for general money claims against the United States.

One must file a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, in order to recover his or her allocable share of a joint refund that the IRS applied against that person’s spouse’s unpaid child support obligation.

If your refund has been seized within the last six years to pay your spouse’s past-due child support obligation, call us, we can help.

« Return To Blog
Chicago Area Tax Attorneys

Speak With A Tax Attorney


Chicago Tax Attorneys

314 North York Road
Elmhurst, IL 60126
Proud Member of the
American Society of Tax Problem Solvers

© 2023 Patrick T. Sheehan & Associates, Attorneys at Law, P.C. - Privacy Policy - Terms and Conditions
Serving the Chicago Area - Disclaimer